The French foreign minister, Laurent Fabius, says he has summoned the US ambassador to the Quai d’Orsay after allegations published in Le Monde that the NSA spied on French citizens. The documents published by the French newspaper in collaboration with Glenn Greenwald and thought to be from Edward Snowden allege that the NSA recorded 70m phone calls in France between 10 December 2012 and 8 January 2013
“The US National Security Agency (NSA) secretly recorded millions of phone calls made in France, French daily “Le Monde” reported on Monday, citing documents leaked by former NSA intelligence contractor Edward Snowden.
The US spy agency taped 70.3 million French phone calls in just a little under a month in the period from December 10 last year to January 8, 2013, “Le Monde” reported on its website. The paper said the NSA automatically monitored communications from certain phone numbers and recorded text messages under a programme that was code named “US-985D”.
“Le Monde” said the documents indicated that the NSA targets not only people suspected of being involved in terrorism but also high-profile individuals from the world of business or politics.
The revelations prompted French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius to summon the US ambassador to France, Charles Rivkin, for “immediate” talks on Monday.” France 24
— Breaking News (@BreakingNews) October 21, 2013
- France summons U.S. ambassador over spying report – Reuters
- New Report of N.S.A. Spying Angers France – NY Times
- Rules Shielding Online Data From N.S.A. and Other Prying Eyes Advance in Europe – NY Times
- More disturbing NSA spying allegations revealed – Huffington Post
- Opinion L.A. blog: NSA spying: French find another reason to dislike Americans – L.A. Times
- NSA France: U.S. Conducted Large Scale Spying on France – Huffington Post
- Comment la NSA espionne la France – Le Monde Fr
- US spy agency ‘monitored millions of French phones’ – France 24
- NSA targeted French Foreign Minister – Spiegel
- France Condemns U.S. over spying – AliJazeera English
- Obama speaks to France’s Hollande over NSA Spying – Reuters
- France joins list of allies angry over NSA spying – Atlanta-Journal Constitution
- U.S. intercepts French phone calls on a massive scale – CNN
- France, Germany, and Brazil, have surveillance agencies too – Think Progress
- Obama calls French president over NSA spying – Fox News